DUNDALK RACECOURSE, Co. Louth
(Gaelic: Dun Dealgan. Meaning: Dalga’s Fort (a home closely associated with the famous mythical warrior Cu Chulainn))
Quick Facts about Dundalk Stadium
Dundalk Stadium is Ireland’s first floodlit all-weather horse track and Ireland’s first combined horse and greyhound facility. The floodlit all-weather track at Dundalk Stadium consists of 10 furlongs (2,000m) oval with a 5 furlong sprint. The project was opened in August 2007 and includes an extension to the existing grandstand, new ambulance and access roads, a weigh room, stable yard for 130 horses, a parade ring and a new bookmakers’ ring. Floodlit racing takes place at Dundalk on Fridays throughout the winter season. Dundalk Stadium combines all-weather horse racing and greyhound racing. Dundalk Stadium is the only racecourse in the world combining these two sports.
Dundalk Stadium Revealed
Dundalk Racecourse covers approximately 159 acres, extending from the Dundalk inner relief road to the west, and the tidal estuary of the Black Water and Dundalk Bay to the east. There has been a tradition of racing at Dundalk for over 100 years – horse racing since 1889 and greyhound racing since 1930. However, by the late 1990’s the facilities at Dundalk racecourse was in need of major redevelopment and substantial investment in order to sustain and develop racing at Dundalk. In 1999, Dundalk Race Company PLC and Dundealgan Greyhound Racing Company Limited merged to form Dundalk Racing (1999). The greyhound facility officially opened in February 2003 and horse racing will return with a new look stadium in 2007.
Left handed 10 furlong all-weather polytrack, with a 5 furlong chute.
For more details, see www.dundalkstadium.com